Lana del Rey - Video Games
Let me join the chorus and say this is a pretty wonderful song but also oh god what is it with her lips!? Anyhow…this is my idea of fun.
I said it when this first hit the Awl, I’ll say it again: I am not convinced this woman has ever played a video game. (Not to mention that the premise of this song, which is supposed to be this all-classy, all-pretty song about those horrible, low-culture video games, is pretty damn offensive.)
Why should the fact that she has or hasn’t played one matter? And, it’s possible that I’m the densest person in the world, but that’s not my read on what this song is about at all. Video games are a red herring. This song is bigger than that.
to be honest i think it’s smaller – i’m increasingly convinced that the type of person who calls her stuff “HOLLYWOOD SADCORE” & makes stuff like “diet mtn dew” has kind of mistaken irony for substance, and i’m basically hoping that i’m wrong and this song (which is amazing and i’ve listened to twice today) isn’t a one-off, but i’m super wary
I read this and kind of mentally “pshaw”ed it, but then I went and listened to “Diet Mtn Dew” and it’s kind of awful. So is “Kinda Outta Luck.” BUT WE’LL ALWAYS HAVE “VIDEO GAMES,” RIGHT?
(More importantly, if that song is a one-off, and accidental in its genius, does that diminish its genius at all? I’d say no.
Diet Mountain Dew is terrible. Oh wait, what are you guys talking about?
- tecnologia-android reblogged this from hndrk
- tecnologia-android likes this
- lizisbored said: the other song ‘Diet Mt Dew’ is amazing too
- warmandpunchy reblogged this from therichgirlsareweeping and added:
- alltheweirdkidsupfront likes this
- lookuplookup likes this
- therichgirlsareweeping reblogged this from warmandpunchy and added:
- theremixbaby likes this
- strictlyalright likes this
- screwrocknroll likes this
- printedinternet likes this
- fotzepolitic likes this
- katherinestasaph reblogged this from hndrk and added:
- huffandstuff likes this
- hndrk posted this